Chicken Bhuna Masala In Under 20 Minutes
Chicken Bhuna Masala
Quick & easy, Chicken Bhuna Masala is a delicious and easy to make dish. It is made with chicken, onions, tomatoes, and spices. This dish is perfect for a quick weeknight meal. So if you’re wanting something slightly different to out on the bone balti recipe, then this is the one. Don’t forget to make some bhajis to start.
This dish is best served with rice, roti or naan bread. We really do like the Roasted Garlic Naan bread we can buy, just to speed up things. Enjoy!
Chicken Bhuna Masala Recipe
1 tablespoon oil
1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 red chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into small cubes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 cup chicken broth
Salt and black pepper to taste
Fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, cumin seeds, ginger, chili pepper, chicken cubes, tomato paste, garlic, garam masala, coriander, and turmeric. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
3. Serve the chicken bhuna masala over rice or naan bread, garnished with fresh cilantro leaves. Enjoy!
Chicken bhuna off the bone
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
1/2 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz.)
1 tbsp. tomato paste
1 tsp. cumin powder
1 tsp. coriander powder
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
1/2 tsp. Kashmiri red chili powder or paprika (optional)
1/2 cup chicken broth or water
2-3 tbsp. oil, divided
Salt and black pepper to taste
1/2 cup chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)
1. In a large bowl, combine the chicken cubes, onion, green bell pepper, garlic, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, Kashmiri red chili powder or paprika (if using), and chicken broth or water. Mix well and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken mixture to the skillet and cook for about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through.
3. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Garnish with cilantro if desired and serve warm with rice. Enjoy!
OR why not get the tawa out and make your own Roti?
Is a Chicken Bhuna spicy?
No, a Chicken Bhuna is not spicy. It is a mildly spiced dish made with chicken, onions, tomatoes, and spices. However, the Kashmiri red chili powder or paprika added to the dish gives it a slight kick. If you are not a fan of spicy food, you can omit this ingredient.
What is Bhuna masala?
Bhuna masala is a spice blend used in Indian cuisine. It typically contains cumin powder, coriander powder, Kashmiri red chili powder or paprika, and turmeric powder. You can make your own bhuna masala blend or purchase it from an Indian grocery store.
Is A Bhuna a dry dish?
A Bhuna is not a dry dish. It is a mildly spiced, gravy-based dish made with chicken, onions, tomatoes, and spices. The chicken broth added to the dish makes it slightly saucy.
Can I make this dish gluten-free?
Yes, you can make this dish gluten-free by using gluten-free soy sauce or tamari in place of the regular soy sauce. Also, be sure to use gluten-free naan or roti if needed.
What is the difference between a balti and a Bhuna?
The main difference between a balti and a Bhuna is that a balti is a wet, gravy-based dish while a Bhuna is a dryer dish. A balti usually contains more spices than a Bhuna, and the chicken is cooked in the sauce versus being cooked separately.
What is the difference between a Bhuna and Rogan Josh?
The main difference between a Bhuna and Rogan Josh is that a Bhuna is a dryer dish while a Rogan Josh is a wet, gravy-based dish. Additionally, Rogan Josh contains more lamb than chicken, and it features Kashmiri red chili powder which gives it a deeper flavor profile.